Open-face Eggless Salad Sandwiches on Pumpernickel Bread
Go eggless with this plant-based alternative to egg salad sandwiches. Just as easy to make -- and just as delicious -- as the real thing. Any bread will do but fresh pumpernickel elevates this to the next level. Fresh sourdough does the trick too. 👌
Makes 3 open-faced sandwiches
- 1 package Epic Tofu Scramble
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices fresh pumpernickel bread
- 1 large tomato, sliced in rounds
- 1-2 TBSP mayo (plant-based or conventional)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Sprouts or microgreens of choice
- Fresh pepper to taste
- In a non-stick pan, heat 1 TBSP oil over med-high heat; add tofu & sautée 5-7 mins, until golden and all the moisture has evaporated. This is important for getting the right eggy texture for your eggless salad. When in doubt, err on the side of over-cooking.
- Transfer tofu to a bowl and place in the fridge or freezer for 10 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice your bread and toast it if desired. Plus, slice the tomato and chop the green onions.
- To the cooled tofu bowl, add 1-2 TBSP mayo, a few grinds of pepper, and half the green onions. Stir to combine.
- Scrape some mayo onto the bread, add tomato slices, and top with the eggless salad mixture. Garnish with fresh sprouts or microgreens and remaining green onions. Enjoy!